March 5th, 2010
Friday, March 5th, 2010 will mark the one year anniversary of the death of fellow truck driver, Jason Rivenburg. Killed by a gunman for a measly $7.00, Jason had pulled into an abandoned gas station to park his truck, due to the lack of parking in the area for commercial vehicles. Leaving behind a wife and two year old son, Hope Rivenburg also gave birth to twins shortly after Jason’s death. Although Jason Rivenburg was not the first professional truck driver to have their life taken away from them due to a lack of safe and secure parking areas, Hope Rivenburg set out on a mission to make certain no other driver would fall victim to such a meaningless crime.
With the support of so many, including New York Congressman Paul Tonko, they introduced a bill into legislation that would provide the safe parking areas that are needed by commercial truck drivers: House Bill H. R. 2156 . . . Jason’s Law. At present, the Jason’s Law Petition has received 9,188 signatures and the support of thirty three sponsors:
- Rep. Jason Altmire [D, PA-4]
- Rep. Michael Arcuri [D, NY-24]
- Rep. Joe Baca [D, CA-43]
- Rep. Brian Baird [D, WA-3]
- Rep. Tammy Baldwin [D, WI-2]
- Rep. John Boccieri [D, OH-16]
- Rep. Henry Brown [R, SC-1]
- Rep. Russ Carnahan [D, MO-3]
- Rep. Steve Cohen [D, TN-9]
- Rep. Bob Filner [D, CA-51]
- Rep. John Hall [D, NY-19]
- Rep. Maurice Hinchey [D, NY-22]
- Rep. Steve Israel [D, NY-2]
- Rep. Steve Kagen [D, WI-8]
- Rep. Carolyn Maloney [D, NY-14]
- Rep. Betsy Markey [D, CO-4]
- Rep. James McGovern [D, MA-3]
- Rep. Michael Michaud [D, ME-2]
- Rep. Christopher Murphy [D, CT-5]
- Rep. Jerrold Nadler [D, NY-8]
- Rep. Erik Paulsen [R, MN-3]
- Rep. Thomas Perriello [D, VA-5]
- Rep. Laura Richardson [D, CA-37]
- Rep. Mike Ross [D, AR-4]
- Rep. Loretta Sanchez [D, CA-47]
- Rep. Mark Schauer [D, MI-7]
- Rep. William Shuster [R, PA-9]
- Rep. Harry Teague [D, NM-2]
- Rep. Dina Titus [D, NV-3]
- Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz [D, FL-20]
- Rep. Lynn Westmoreland [R, GA-3]
- Rep. David Wu [D, OR-1]
- Rep. Donald Young [R, AK-0]
Jason’s Law is not only about Jason Rivenburg, but for all professional CMV drivers who have been endangered by the lack of safe parking for the big rigs. From parking lots, rest areas, side streets and from on and off exit ramps, professional truckers are expected to do their jobs with little effort for safety precautions being established for them.
Finally, a bill specifically for truck drivers and their safety is at the forefront of the trucking industry. Hope Rivenburg has fought long and hard for Jason’s Law even through a time of great loss and grief. With so much support coming through for H. R. 2156, truckers can have the safe and secure parking they need to do their jobs and to make it back home to their families.
Continue to contact your Representative and voice your support for Jason’s Law.
© 2010 – 2013, Allen Smith. All rights reserved.