“Killer Truckers. The title sends chills down the spine as it depicts a graphic image of an entire industry of big trucks rolling down the highway just waiting for the opportunity to take advantage of the naive and vulnerable, quenching their thirst for murder.
FACT : In the past forty years, according to the FBI, 459 deaths and 41 attempted homicides are believed to be linked to serial killers who are using the nation’s highways to find and dispose of their victims.
FACT : The estimated 300 highway serial killers, conservatively represents only 0.0075% of the professional truck driver population. (Based on 4 Million Active CDL drivers). So what about the other 99.9925%? Who are they?
1) The vast majority of the trucking industry is made up of honest, hard-working Americans who go through painstaking measures to conduct themselves under a code of ethics and safety.
2) Professional Truck Drivers are also victims of violent crime and those numbers are increasing.
3) There needs to be more security at many of the major truck stops. Surveys have indicated, including the most recent National Truck Parking Survey initiated by Hope Rivenburg, that drivers are themselves concerned about their own safety at many of them.
4) Professional Drivers are many time the eyes and ears of these inadequately patrolled truck plazas, reporting crimes and suspicious activity, including the reporting of human trafficking.
5) The majority of professional drivers are honest, hard-working Americans who go through scrupulous actions to conduct themselves under a high code of ethics and safety
Conclusion: Trucking is a profession made up of over 4 million active professional drivers who are hard-working, sacrificing life’s luxuries in order to deliver them to others. They work for relatively low wages, living for months at a time in their trucks away from friends and family.
Opportunists of devious crime are drawn to this transient and mobile lifestyle of the professional driver. The lifestyle and profession allows these criminals to be elusive from the law, specifically murderers/serial killers, performing their horrendous acts and to then move on without suspicion or trace.
On Tuesday, August 13th at 10:00 PM ET, Investigation Discovery will present a One-Hour Special featuring serial killer long haul truckers.
The Investigation Discovery segment on “Killer Truckers” also filmed integrity filled truckers’ who’s voices represent the true and positive image of the professional driver.
We were honored that the filming segment of “good, decent, hardworking truckers” took place at the 2nd Annual Truck Driver Social Media Convention in Kansas City, MO at Harrah’s Convention Center and was included in the final filming of the show to represent the good side of trucking, which otherwise, would not have even been included in the program.
The convention represents and unites those within trucking who believe in honesty and transparency, the power of social media, and who honor the integrity of the professional driver.
© 2013, Allen Smith. All rights reserved.